Monday, March 16, 2009

The Advent of Easter

...just wanted to share a funny little story from today.

Easter's coming, and armed with a few egg-dying kits and some crayons, I'm preparing to introduce the art of turning boiled eggs different colors to some of my elementary kids (assuming I can get some of my teachers on board with the idea). I was thinking of sending a little memo home with each kid the day before, asking their parents to pack a (safely-wrapped) boiled egg the next day if the kid wanted to participate. That way, I wouldn't have to provide the eggs and do the prep work.

One of my island colleagues is clearly much more dedicated to this particular project. This is his second year of boiling a vast quantity of eggs for some of his students. We had the following amazing online conversation:

me: isn't it pricy? .. buying 190 eggs?
The Dedicated ALT: hmm... I guess so
me: dude, where do you even find 190 eggs?
The Dedicated ALT: heh. I have to spread it out
like I'm buying drugs or something
me: omg
The Dedicated ALT: don't wanna arouse suspicion by focusing on one supplier
no, actually it's because I don't want to mess with their inventory
me: addicted to eggs. hehehe
The Dedicated ALT: if they start thinking they have to prepare for an extra 190 eggs sold each day, that'd overwork some chickens somewhere
so I buy 'em in batches of 40-60 from saiki [island supermarket]
me: that's insane.

...I personally think The Dedicated ALT should be given a prize. A golden egg would be ideal... but I think a well-prepared egg salad sandwich would also be appropriate. Assuming the ALT in question can stand looking at/smelling/handling anything remotely related to eggs after the ordeal of boiling 190 of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you meant Eggdicated ALT. :-)

P.S. He doesn't remember his economics classes. The laying hen marketplace would need more than a single "signal" before ramping up production. An unrepeated spike would be nothing more than noise.

Kiwi said...

I'm fairly sure that was a joke.

...at any rate, I think the ALT in question didn't want to completely drain a store's egg supply all at once. The neighborhood obaachans would probably trample him with their shopping carts just for trying.

Anonymous said...

No, the P.S. wasn't a joke. Your social comment, however, is a more likely explanation, at least in Japan. In the U.S., a typical consumer wouldn't think twice.