Sunday, January 17, 2010

Okinawa: Naha Beginnings in Chatan

Gaijin-shock aside, after getting settled at my hostel in Chatan I went exploring and ended up on a beach in time for a beautiful sunset.



There were a couple of boys kicking around a soccer ball in the sand and, just across from the boardwalk, a group of what must have been American military folk playing pick-up basketball. It was a little surreal.

Kudos to catering to the American troops, though, because I was lucky enough to find a Mike's around the corner from my hostel. Yes, the delicious American-style Mexican food chain found near military bases throughout Japan (including Sasebo, Nagasaki) originally started in Okinawa. I was very happy to sink my teeth into their bean burrito, covered in awesome -real- melted cheese. Just look at it dripping down the sides into their signature sauce. And, yes, that's a side dish of real sour cream and a glass of water that I didn't even have to ask for!

The next day was Christmas Eve and my first day of diving. I was the only customer so we took it slow and went to the beach around the corner from the shop. This day's two dives were my first beach dives, and I was surprised at how much energy I had afterwards. Climbing on and clamoring around a boat in all of my previous diving experiences must have taken a lot of extra energy, but I just figured that being half-dead after two 50-60 minute dives was normal. The corals at the Chatan beach were nice, and I saw my first sea snake, a white-and-black banded thing that looked like a normal snake but slithered around underwater. I saw one that was coiled around the stem of a coral, hidden from view of fish swimming overhead. My dive times were respectable but nothing to write home about; I did much better in Jeju last October when I was in the middle of 10K-race training. it's amazing how the slightest difference in fitness affects air usage underwater.

After diving, I went to the nearby famous shopping complex amusingly named "American Village."

I didn't think there was much that was particularly 'American' about it, but there were the general city-assortment of international chains like Starbucks, which I appreciated. There was also what seemed to be a special American surplus import store that had really cheap clothes, hats, scarves... just tons of stuff everywhere.

Lining many of the streets were blooming hibiscus bushes, simply gorgeous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet another installment of "Foodshima Escapades," with pictures, no less. :-)